1. Exfoliate well before you tan to ensure you have removed dead skin cells (If you’re a tanning junkie, make sure you exfoliate regularly to avoid build up as several layers of tan can)
2. If you’re waxing or shaving before tanning, make sure you do it more than 24 hours prior to tanning.
3. The most common cause of a patchy tan is dry skin, so it’s crucial to lightly moisturise problem areas (wrists and hands, elbows, knees, ankles and feet) immediately prior to self tan application.
4. Keep palms tan-free – try using latex gloves or one of our applicator mitt’s when applying, then simply sweep the backs of the hands with self tan.
5. When you’re applying your tan, make sure you’re covered all over. Don’t worry if you go over the same area twice – the tan will be clearly patchy if you miss a bit, not if you double up.
6. Make sure you don’t rub in your self tan. Gentle smoothing is all you need, then you can let the product do its work. Rubbing may make the finish uneven (you could be rubbing it off).
7. Try to avoid washing your hands for as long as possible in the development time – a minimum of 2 hours. Try a hand sanitizer or wipes instead as washing with water will remove the tan.
8. Your tan won’t get deeper the longer you leave it – once it’s been on for the required amount of time (check the pack) it will have given you the natural-looking golden colour you’re after. For a deeper tan you should re-apply on successive days – 2 – 3 days in a row will give you a really deep, rich bronze tan.
9. When you’ve applied your tan, wear loose, dark clothing. Anything that’s pressing on the skin may make the results patchy.
10. The hands and face will fade quicker than the rest of the body so re-apply as and when needed